Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bare foot

This week has been a whirlwind of fun and suffering.

One of the best things about my family is how full of energy and life they are.
One of the worst things about my family is how full of energy and life they are.

They don’t stop.
Like the energizer bunny, they just keep going and going and going and going.
And going.

Up at crazy early hours and to bed long after midnight.

I once had a vague notion that vacation had something to do with relaxation. Recuperating from “real life” with a few days of restful rest.

Then I realized that I was born into the “you can sleep when you die” kind of family.

We have shopped, we have eaten, we have fought, and we have giggled.

My sister even danced around in a towel.
And only a towel.

Speaking of dancing.
I tried to rope me a cowboy.

This being Texas I saw many of them.
I saw pretty boys in hats. There was a sea flannel shirts before me.
But, as it turns out, cowboys are rather difficult to rope when surrounded by your mother, sister, aunt, and granny.

Speaking of family.
It has finally happened. I have been dreading this for a good portion of my life, I have avoided it. I have slipped under the radar for so very long.
And yet, the moment still came.

The “when are you going to settle down and give me grandkids” moment.
Every few hours this holiday season someone in my immediate family made a suggestion regarding my uterus and what wonderful things it can do.

I love my homeless life style.
Not to mention my luck with keeping things alive.
Just last year I bought a cactus. It died within weeks. Causes still unknown. *


All week conversations went something like this:

Mom - “When are you planning to settle down and give me grandchildren?”
Me – “Babies are not allowed in Alaska.”

Sister - “I can’t wait to have nieces and nephews!”
Me – “Maybe I could adopt a 14 year old Ethiopian”

Granny – “When will you move somewhere normal?’
Me – “Where is my martini?”

I think I deflected the issues quite well.


Moving on.
I just a day and have I will once again board a plane and head out to Anchorage where I will spend several days.
Including New Years Eve.
I love to fly!

If there is anyone in the big city that have fun and exciting New Years plans, due feel free to drop me a line. I am in desperate need of some groovy plans!

And I would still like to rope a cowboy.


* Yes I realize that I currently have a garden that is flourishing. It is possible that I am growing as a person. But this is the first time things have stayed in the land of the living under my care.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter