Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wheel in the Walkers

Well, it’s official. I am a quarter of a century. My recent 25th birthday made me reconsider what it is to be an adult.
When I was a kid, and the big 2-5 loomed a lifetime away I firmly believed that people THAT old would have things.
An adult-like job
a car
a place to live
a puppy
a picket fence.
I figured that old people would have completed something, would have a path, would have a series of goals that makes some kind of sense.

Now, on the other side of the quarter mark, I realize that no one has all that shit.
Not one of us has a bloody clue what is going on from one minute to the next.
None of us are really “adults”.
What does that word mean anyway?

I have an adult-like job. I teach. There is nothing cooler than a job that comes with a two-month summer vacation.
I have no car of my own, but then, in a village with no roads, who needs one.
I have no set place to live, but wherever there’s a couch, I’ll be there.

When it comes to paths and goals and completing those greatly undefined things.
I am living a life that I alone created. Sure there is no real destination. But isn’t the journey more important anyway.

I think about where I want to be in a few years. I think about what I want to have.
And all I know is that it is out of my hands.
My path is created day by day.
I just hope I am blazing the right trail.

Comments:
There is no "wrong trail" as long as you are doing, experiencing, and carving your own. Yours is very unique. Savor it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter